On January 22nd, 2015 the Gregory Public Library was granted accreditation at the exemplary level by working hard and reaching for the stars. We are very proud of our exemplary library, the staff, the trustees, the governing board and our exemplary community! Thank you to everyone!
A Teen Tech Week project..about our services.
The Gregory Public Library is situated just a block east of Main Street and is easily accessible with street level entrances to the south and east. The library is within walking distance of local shops, post office and the school building.
Open 28 hours weekly, the library annually loans out about 11,000 items, answers more than 1,500 reference questions and has about 7,000 visitors. The facility holds a collection of over 15,000 items including books, audio books, and movies. It also has a strong South Dakota history section as well as fiction books by South Dakota authors.
CONTACT US: PHONE: 605-835-8531 EMAIL: email@example.com FAX: 605-835-9575
HISTORY OF OUR LIBRARY
How it all began....
History of the Gregory Public Library
- January 26, 1910 The Gregory Women's Club was organized with sixteen original members in the home of Mrs. C. N. Wolfe.
- June 9, 1910. The first book donated to the Public Library in our city was donated by Miss Marie Forbes of Lamro.
- August 18, 1910. The Gregory Women's Club resolved to undertake the establishment of a public library and in order to get a supply of books they held a book shower on Saturday afternoon, August 27th. The place for the library has not yet been definitely decided upon, but a committee was put in charge of locating a place on Main Street.
- September 8, 1910 The books for the public library were placed in their temporary quarters in the Commercial Club rooms and were loaned out on Saturday afternoons.
- October 17, 1912 The Public Library was moved to the room in back of the First National Bank, a more convenient location.
- October 16, 1926 The Public Library was officially opened with a special tea arranged by the Gregory Women's Club and recognized by the city government as a public library. Volunteers from the Women's Club served as library staff and Hazel Matejka was hired as the first permanent librarian on November 16, 1926 at the sum of fifty cents to be paid her for each afternoon's work.
- July 1, 1941 Eva McMeen was hired as librarian.
- February 1, 1951 The Public Library was moved to a permanent location on Church Avenue in Gregory.
- February 20, 1980 The Public Library was moved to its current location at 112 E. 5th Street, one block off of Main Street.
- March 2010 The library started its Books on Wheels weekly delivery to area nursing home and assisted living facility.
- January 12, 2012 Gregory Public Library became accredited at Essential Level (1) and honored at a ceremony at the South Dakota State Library in Pierre.
- 2010-2012 The Gregory Public Library was remodeled with new paint, siding, roof, and carpeting. The main room was configured to provide room for a children's area, a work space for wireless users, and room for a young adult book collection. The library added a wireless access point and SD Titles to Go for downloadable books and audio books.
- 2013 The first five year Strategic Plan for the library was completed with input from a cross section of the Gregory community.
- 2014 Gregory Public Library became automated using Atriuum software, hosting the catalog of our collection on an offsite server.
- 2015 In January, the Gregory Public Library was accredited at the highest level awarded by the State of South Dakota. We are an exemplary library!!
- 2016 Summer programming expanded to all age levels. Kindle pilot program started.
- 2017 9-hole mini golf course built by members of the community and Teen Board to use for an annual fundraiser.
- 2018 Started 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- 2019 Remodeled Teen/Young Adult area of library.
- 2020 Covid 19 Pandemic hit and the library was closed to patrons inside of the building from March until June, books were delivered out to curbside and all activities were suspended. Summer reading became a take and make program of at least 3 activities being planned for pickup each week.